Learn how to set up a VPN on your own OpenVPN server within minutes! This will work on Windows, iOS, Android, Mac, and Linux. I will also show you how to get a VPN server for free by using two big cloud companies free trials. With the free trials, you will get access to a VPN server for 9 months.
FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW TO SET UP THE VPN. MAKE SURE TO CHECK STEP 7 IF YOU ARE NOT USING LINUX, AS IT RECOMMENDS THE BEST SOFTWARE TO USE!
In this tutorial we use DigitalOcean to set up the free OpenVPN server and get $115 in credits:
Go here to get free $100 credit ( expires in 60 days ) https://affiliate.watch/go/digitalocean
Put “LOWENDBOX” in the billing section to get 90 more days and $15 extra dollars
Click “Create” then “Droplet” in the menu to create a server.
When creating a server you can leave everything on the default settings such as linux distro “Ubuntu”, location (anywhere okay), and server name (any name okay). I recommend adding an ssh key otherwise you will get an email with a password which is less safe. To add an ssh key, use this command below in the terminal and create a key and paste the public key into DigitalOcean.
ssh-keygen -t rsa
- Click the final “Create” button and SSH into your server ssh with the command below
Go to this GitHub repository https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install and copy the command in the read me. Paste this command into the server you have logged into with SSH. Press the enter key for all the default settings.
You will now have a client.ovpn file that you can use to access your VPN. You can access your VPN through the command line or through a graphic interface. I have left links down below you can put a .ovpn file into and run it. All of them are open source
- Windows: https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/
- Mac: https://tunnelblick.net/index.html
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn&hl=en
- iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/openvpn-connect/id590379981?mt=8
- Run a DNS leak test to make sure your IP is not leaking. https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ . If it is leaking and you are using linux, you can paste the following into your .ovpn file below the “verb” line. ONLY PUT THE FOLLOWING IF YOU HAVE A DNS LEAK!
script-security 2 up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
Go here https://affiliate.watch/go/digitalocean to get $100 in DigitalOcean Credit and type in “LOWENDBOX” in the billing settings to get an extra $15.
$115 no enough? Want to get 4 more months for free on the VPN server + $100 credit? Then check out this video how to do so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHxxGLhxbIc
Don’t want to set up your own VPN? Too hard? Annoying? Use the best VPN, NordPVN! NO LOGS! 66% PROMO: https://affiliate.watch/go/nordvpn